Saturday 23 March 2013

This blog comes to you from my duplex

So the big news of this week is my move, which happened (contrary to everyone's expectations) on the day it was meant to, Friday. I now have a beautiful two-bedroom apartment, spread over two floors, with terraces off the living room and my master bedroom suite (which includes another living room, a bathroom, a bedroom and a dressing room). There are four bathrooms, if you count the downstairs loo and the maid's loo (I would be happy to share toilet facilities, but apparently this is not the done thing here. So much for solidarity). It's on a quiet, tree-lined street named after one of my least favourite authors from my degree, Calderón de la Barca, in Polanco, the Knightsbridge of Mexico City. Gucci, Chanel and Cartier are only a short walk away.

That all sounds amazingly fancy, and it is, in many ways. But there are refreshing touches of normality: a discount generic-drugs pharmacy, a street vendor or two round the corner, a man selling Oaxaca-style tamales late at night (complete with a megaphone), Starbucks (present here, as it is everywhere), La Casa de los Abuelos (kind of a Mexican diner chain, with good breakfasts). I did get the impression that I was in the minority walking - it's perfectly safe, and there are shady pavements with only the occasional pothole - as pretty much the only people striding along were me and the Orthodox Jews on their way to/from synagogue. It feels rather American in that way. But I think I'll enjoy living here, and I hope I don't become too spoilt!

The other main event of this week was less auspicious: my iron stomach finally failed me, and Montezuma's Revenge struck. It could have been so many things that it's hard to pin down quite what the cause was. I think you have to be resigned to the fact that once in a while, you'll get a bit ill while you're here, and just enjoy the food the rest of the time (while following a couple of basic food-safety rules and not taking ridiculous risks). In the land of discount pharmacies, a whole course of prescription antibiotics can be had for not much money at all with no need to consult a real doctor. I made sure to read up on WebMD and NHS Direct before actually taking any (medical friends, don't hate me).

Gastro-intestinal problems don't lend themselves to illustrated blogging, but I promise that pictures of the flat will come once I have packed away my belongings and it is less of a bombsite...

No comments:

Post a Comment